Chapter 5: She Broke My Heart

“Ghazi, please listen. You cannot leave your wife right now. She is pregnant with your child. And you need to realize that you have no right to be mad over the fact that she is having a human and not a kitten.”

“But a kitten would be so lovely! Fluffers needs someone other than me to care for. I’m afraid she gets a bit lonely when I’m gone.”

“Well, to be honest,” Ghazi began, “she’s the one who wants to leave me. She seems to have had enough. She said she’s tired of my emotional affair with Fluffers.”

“And how does that make you feel?”

Relieved. Now nothing is stopping me from being with Fluffers!”

“Listen, Ghazi, I want to see how this progresses. The separation that is. How about I see you again tomorrow? After you’ve, err, told Fluffers the news.”

“Alright, but I’m sure she’ll be just as excited as I am.” Ghazi said, bouncing in his seat. The man was one of the strangest she’d ever encountered at St. Mungo’s.

As usual, Ghazi was her last appointment. She didn’t think she would ever have the patience to see someone else after dealing with Ghazi’s creepy bestial fantasies. It was enough to drive her to commit herself.

When she arrived at her flat, she was surprised to see three owls waiting for her. The first was a note from her mum asking when she was going to bring Aleks by again. Scoffing, she quickly wrote saying that she and Aleks were no longer seeing each other, she didn’t want to talk about it, and, no, she wasn’t dating anyone new.

The second was from Hermione. The older girl always had a sixth sense about things, and the letter asked when she had stopped seeing Aleks. Rather than answering, Ginny decided she would Floo Hermione later on and tell her.

The last came in a simple cream envelope. Ginevra Weasley was written in elegant backward slanting cursive. With a knot forming in her stomach, Ginny turned the envelope over in her hands. She knew this writing. It was the same that had appeared on everything from simple notes to the few totally out of character love letters she’d received. The man who had carelessly (in her mind) left her. The man she was desperately trying to forget. The man she knew would never leave her mind nor her heart.

Draco Malfoy.

She refused to believe this letter was real. It had to be fake. The only way to figure that out, however, was by opening it. She quickly clenched her fists to stop their shaking. Pulling out the parchment, she unfolded the short letter.

Ginevra,
I’m sure the last thing person you want to hear from is me. But we need to talk. Even though we are no longer together, trust me when I say I am writing to you out of deep concern. I need to speak with you about it immediately. Please respond as soon as you can. It’s urgent.


Love See you soon,
Draco

Post script
Whatever you do, DO NOT speak to Aleks


He was worried about her? How the hell did he even know Aleks? She was thoroughly confused. Even though she was angry with him and at herself for feeling anything at all towards him, she believed him when he said he was concerned. He always believed he had her best intentions in mind.

Then again, he had believed leaving her was best. Maybe he was just jealous. That had to be it. The prat was just mad she was moving on with her life.

Then again, maybe she just had no idea. Before she could change her mind she decided to write him. She said she would meet him and just needed a time and place. She sent his owl, well eagle, off with the message.

DO NOT speak to Aleks. Why did she need to avoid him? Granted, she had broken up with him; he was a bit obsessive and too rude to continue seeing. Maybe Draco had met him—

BAM! A loud banging noise woke Ginny from her musings. Turning, she saw that the Malfoy eagle was back already. All it said was:

Tonight. 8 pm. Buca’s.

Well, that meant she had four hours to make herself look completely glamorous. Even if it was urgent, she wanted Draco to drool a little.


He had written her because he knew she would never allow him into her flat. He sat at a high table facing the door. Nervous and unsure, he sat with his hands together. There she was. Was she trying to torture him? Despite what people thought, Draco didn’t know fashion. But he knew that her skintight black dress was one were underwear was not an option.

“Ginevra,” he said, his voice more like a caress, “thank you for agreeing to meet with me.” He hoped his voice didn’t crack when he’d said that.

“It’s no problem.” She told him. After taking the seat Draco had pulled out for her, she settled in and crossed her legs somewhat demurely. “But I really have no idea why I’m here.” She wondered if her voice was shaking as much as she thought it was.

“I saw you the other day. When you were fighting with Aleks.”

“You were spying on me? Really, Draco? Don’t you have any mora—“

“I wasn’t spying,” he spat, “I was walking. You two were out in the middle of the sidewalk. Honestly, Ginevra, you were practically screeching like a harpy. But that isn’t the point. The point is that he came up to me after. He said he was introducing himself because I had obviously been listening to the whole conversation. Aleks told me he was going to make sure you didn’t refuse him.”

“It was us breaking up. He was just upset. This isn’t some Muggle novel; there is not bad guy that is going to make me pay. This is real life.”

“Gin, I’m telling you he’s up to no good. I want you to promise me that you’ll put stronger wards up. Have Bill do it for you. Hell, have Ron do it. I just don’t want anything to happen to you.”

He had some nerve saying things like that to her. “You don’t? You obviously didn’t care when you broke my heart. Speaking of, how is your new life?”

“This isn’t why I asked you to come here. It wasn’t so I could fight with you. Just try to understand that I didn’t leave because I didn’t love you. It’s because I need to atone for what I’ve done.”

“You’re telling me to understand? Merlin, I’m a Head Healer. If anyone could have tried to help it was me!”

“I didn’t want to be one of your cases.” Draco roared, his chair screeching back as he stood. “All I want is to not drag you down with me. I refuse to let you be tainted.”

“Stop putting me on a pedestal! After my first year I could’ve helped you through it.” Her voice then grew softer. “I know what it’s like to have people stare and whisper. And sometimes say awful things to your face. Why couldn’t you trust me?” She wouldn’t cry. She couldn’t let him think he still had any control over her feelings.

“Why don’t we go someplace else? I think we’re attracting a lot of attention. Let’s step outside.”

“Fine,” she sighed.

They stepped out into the cool weather and made their way to the side of the building. She leaned against the wall, and he stood in front of her. No one on the street would be able to see their faces.

“Just tell me you’ll be more careful. I don’t want anything to happen to you.”

“I will, but you can’t do this to me. Do not make me think you still love me.”

“I do! But this is my life now. It has to be.”

“And I have to move on. You have to let me. You know you could’ve told Ron about seeing Aleks. He could’ve passed along the message to me.”

“Is it that terrible to see me?” he asked quietly. He sounded hurt.

“You aren’t allowed to be the injured party here. It isn’t fair,” she whispered, “to act like this. I still love you. And apparently, you think my attempts at moving on involve crazies. Please let me move on.”

“…I can’t,” he admitted. Then his lips met hers.

She had to admit that it felt so good to kiss him again. She had replayed their kisses in her head daily; even when she was with Aleks. She pressed back, and she couldn’t help herself. Her hand reached up to grasp at his finely pressed white work shirt, and the other clenched his arm.

His right hand moved to the small of her back, his left at the nape of her neck. He had her pushed up against the wall of the building; she was falling. Falling from the force of the kiss. And falling even more for the man she was kissing.

It lasted for several minutes until their lips were hardly touching. Neither seemed to want to end it. When Ginny pulled away, she didn’t know what to make of the look on Draco’s face.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to do that. Well, I did. But I shouldn’t have. I only want to warn you about this. But I can’t do this. It’s wrong.”

“You really know how to make a girl feel special,” Ginny smirked.


With her hair mussed and lips slightly chapped, it took all of Draco’s willpower to not Apparate them to his penthouse. But that wouldn’t truly solve anything.

“I’m sorry, love. The next time I hear anything, I’ll just tell Ron.”

“Draco, wait! You can’t just leave now. It isn’t right!”

“Maybe not, but it’s what I have to do for both of us.” With that, Draco turned and walked down the street.

Author notes: Don't forget to review! Thanks!

Leave a Review