Ch. 7: One More Drink and I’ll Be Gone

Draco sat in a low slung couch in front of his fireplace. He was almost positive that being a priest wasn’t right for him anymore. He had never believed that he was somewhat powerless during the war; he had blamed himself for everything that had gone wrong. Ginny had told him he was as innocent as the rest of them, but he’d never actually believed her. It wasn’t until someone who was unfamiliar with the situation told him the same thing that he began to consider it.

…Fifteen Years Ago…

He had always imagined death to be a loud event. The crying, the screaming. Even the curse itself should have been accompanied by a loud noise. But it was silent.

The Muggle his aunt had just killed was just lying there. It was then he realized how quick murder was. There was no time for crying or screaming. And Avada Kedavra was merely a green light.

The only sound that had emerged was his own. He had only been seven at the time, and Draco had immediately began to cry. He didn’t understand how life could end so quickly; it wasn’t the Muggle’s fault that he didn’t have powers of his own. What if Draco didn’t get into Hogwarts? Would his father do the same to him?

Slap. His aunt had rushed over to his side and hit him.

“Poor, Drakkie,” she cooed mockingly. “Upset that the filthy Muggle is gone now? Get over it, boy. In a few years, you’ll be doing the same thing. You were born to do this. My brother-in-law would never allow you to stand by idly! It’s time to grow up, Drakkie!”

…Present…

And he had. He had evolved into the cruel schoolboy everyone remembered him as. Then, there was the War.

…Six Years Ago…

“Young Malfoy, you have disappointed me.” hissed the Dark Lord. “Not only have you failed to kill Dumbledore yourself, costing me my spy within the Order, but you have tried to hide from me. Silly young Malfoy. What shall your punishment be? I know. Avada Kedavra!”

The green light had flown over Draco’s shoulder, and he could actually feel the power behind it. Quickly, he had spun around the see where it had gone to. His gaze had almost automatically been drawn to the floor.

Avery? What did he matter?

“Malfoy, surely you didn’t think you would meet your end just yet? No…I was tiring of Avery. Just be aware for now. Your fate may be quite different from what you are expecting.”

…Present…

It had been different. He had become mysterious during the war. The Death Eaters wanted him dead, but so did the Light Side. No one trusted him, and he didn’t blame them. Draco Tristen Malfoy was selfish—he always had been. Switching sides didn’t have to do so much with his ideology as his desire for self-preservation. No, Draco was not the hero girls wanted. He wasn’t a changed man with a new appreciation for life; anyone who thought that was a silly dreamer.

But he had wanted things to be better for Ginny once he’d met her again. He had never really known her in school, and he considered himself lucky to have caught her after. Maybe, he could even get her again. He was ready to be togeth—

WHOOSH!

The blonde was pulled from his wonderings by the sound of his fireplace. He walked over and saw someone’s head floating. Ginny.

“Draco,” she began, “I don’t want you to worry.”

“About what?” he asked quickly. Conversations that began that way rarely ended well.

“I can’t say too much about it. But a now former patient of mine was waiting for me outside my flat after I met with Luna. He says he’s in love with me.”

Draco’s heart began to race. Was she trying to say she was moving on? “I’m sorry, I’m not sure I understand. Is he now a former patient because you’re pursuing a relationship?”

“Really, Draco?” Ginny huffed exasperatedly. “Of course not! He is now my former patient because he located my address and had been standing there for hours waiting for me! I’ve told the Aurors about him, and my concern about Aleks. They’ve placed some warning spells over my flat that will alert them to anything harmful. I just wanted you to know.”

“Thank you for telling me.” Then, as if what was occurring suddenly sank in, Draco’s face grew stony. “Where is he?”

“Ghazi? I don’t know. He hasn’t been at his home apparently. His wife, make that his ex-wife, has moved in with her sister. But don’t overcomplicate things. I know it’s serious,” she said quickly, “I do. But I’m more than capable of protecting myself.”

“I believe you. Nevertheless, I’d feel better if you were staying with someone. You’re still close with Luna. Why don’t you stay at her place for a little while?”

“I know she’d let me, but I can’t help feeling in the way. She’s been seeing Theodore Nott for some time now, and I wouldn’t want to alter their routine so drastically.” She turned her eyes hopefully at him. Those damned doe eyes. “Could you possibly come over for a little?”

“Well…”

“Of course, that as an idiotic idea. I’ll just have Harry come over.”

“No!” Draco had only hesitated because he didn’t know if he could take this slightly awkward position they were in. Obviously, he was in love with her. But did she still feel the same way? And more than anything, he wouldn’t let that poofter Potter comfort her. “I just need to collect a few things, and I’ll Floo right over.”

After Ginny had disappeared from view, he slumped back onto his seat. Instantly, breeding made him sit straight again. There were two batty blokes out there after his bird. While he wanted to find them and curse them to no end, he knew Gin needed him more. Draco gathered some paperwork that he’d been putting off and Floo’d over.

The two of them had sat at her dinner table silently eating a too quickly prepared meal. Ginny’s mind seemed a thousand miles away. Tactlessly, Draco decided it was time to broach the subject of their relationship


Ginny had been watching Draco closely from the moment he entered her flat. Something seemed different about him. Not in a bad way, but something was amiss. His attitude reminded her of her Draco. Her boyfriend and not the future man of God.

“Gin,” Draco started, “I’m sorry for what happened the other night. I had no right to do it at that particular time. And more than that, I shouldn’t have just walked away.”

Between clenched teeth, she told him it was fine. After all, no one liked to hear someone apologize for snogging them.

“I’m not finished. I’m not all that sorry that it happened though I should have timed it better. I…bloody hell, I miss you so much. Don’t make me try to describe it because I won’t come out in a manly way. I’ll sound like a pounce.”

Yes, this did seem like her Draco. “Well, then let me describe it. I don’t mind sounding silly. I miss you every time I wake up and make tea. Each time I go grocery shopping I wait to hear you say I need a house elf to do it. I wait for you to take too long in the shower,” she said smiling, “when we have somewhere we need to be. I miss you when I’m awake at night because I can’t sleep without you taking all the blankets. You know, for a Slytherin you’re too sensitive to cold! Mostly, I just miss you being an annoying prat who could make me fall over and over again each day.”

“Maybe you shouldn’t have described it either. I still sound like a pansy. I want us to try to do this again.”

“So would I. But we can’t.”

“What?” Draco spluttered. “Why not?”

“I can’t exactly be with someone who is going to be a priest. It may not be my religion, but it would be so disrespectful.”

“About that. I’ve sort of left that all behind. Before you say anything, I want you to know that you weren’t the sole reason for that. Don’t think I’m giving up on something I believed I wanted because of you. It sounds mean, but I know you would say you aren’t worth it. Even though you are.”

“What was it then?”

“My mentor, if you will, made me realize some things. We lived in a world very reminiscent of Biblical times. People are persecuted because of what they are: Christian, pagan, Muggleborn, and even Pureblooded. I chose an evil side for awhile, but I changed my mind. I thought that I still carried that mistake. But he told me that the moment I choose this side, I was forgiven. And that’s all I ever wanted from that.”

“About that evil side. Would you tell me what happened?” Ginny pleaded. “I can’t stand not knowing what went on.”

And he did. Her eyes grew wide when he mentioned his first experience with death, but she never made a sound. She blindly reached out to hold onto his hand when he spoke of his aunt. When he finished, Ginny didn’t know what to say.

“Draco, I’m glad you’ve told me all this. I wish you had earlier, but I understand. Everyone copes in a different way, and you just took what seems to be the long way. So, I say yes. Let’s try us again.”

For the rest of the night, Ginny caught him up on what was new with the Weasley clan. Draco told her how much his mother missed her. When it was time for him to leave, she asked him to stay. They were still on somewhat shaky ground, but he agreed. For once, Ginny felt safe.

That all changed the next day on her way to meet Draco for lunch.

Author notes: Don't forget to review! I love the feedback, and I do take everything you say into account!

Leave a Review