Chapter Eight: Then the Sun Refused to Shine

The day had started normally. But, then again, the worst days tend to start out that way. Ginny had woken up slightly late, as usual, and got herself ready to meet with Draco. He hadn’t stayed all night, but she had still felt better knowing he was there. It was obvious that both of them were unsure as to whether they should pick up where they left off or totally start anew. Lunch today, Ginny realized, would be the best time to make that sort of decision. She wanted to be with him, but she didn’t want to risk losing herself. She hated the stories where girls gave up everything for a man—it isn’t supposed to be like that. Unequal love is never stable love. Besides, why was the girl always the one falling too hard? They were the ones caught in a love triangle or being kidnapped. Men were always the rescuers.

She had just exited her building when it began to rain. On the spot, she did a half turn and Apparated. Just because she was born and raised in England didn’t mean she was used to this weather. She appeared before a small café and quickly ducked inside. Making herself comfortable, Ginny plopped into a seat by the window. Even though the rain was annoying, it looked so pretty. Knowing she was early, she took out a book to read.

By the time she had completed chapter two, she heard someone pull out the chair in front of her. Looking up, she smiled brightly.

“Well, hello there. I must say I haven’t seen you in ages,” a voice said sarcastically.

“Aleks. What are you doing here? I’m meeting someone.” Did he notice the tremor in her voice?

“Ginny love, come on now. We both know you aren’t.”

“I can assure you,” she said, regaining her composure, “that I certainly am. And I suggest you leave right now.”

“I’m afraid I can’t do that!” Grinning manically, he reached forward and grabbed her by the arm. “You see, I have to inform you that you’re certain someone can’t make it.”

“I thought you said you didn’t believe me.”

“Love, I lied. Now, let’s go. I’m sure Draco will be missing you terribly. I’m afraid I haven’t been very nice to the boy.”

“I’m not going with you anywhere. Tell me where he is.”

“Tsk, tsk. You shouldn’t have denied me. Don’t worry, you’ll see him again. Perhaps in pieces? Look for my owl.” Suddenly, he disappeared.


Now, Ginny was no fool. She wasn’t about to go back to her flat and wait to hear from him. She took herself straight to the Ministry and put up a fuss until Kinsley’s secretary allowed her to go back. Explaining everything, Ginny said she wanted a full-blown investigation. She also wanted to help and didn’t want to be left out of anything. Most importantly, she wanted to tell Narcissa herself.

Mrs. Malfoy was devastated by what had apparently happened. She was glad to hear things were headed in a good direction for the couple, but it was such a brief comment that Ginny had no time to respond. She fully supported Ginny’s decision to be involved but pleaded with her to be careful. After all, she didn’t want to lose the girl she considered to be a daughter.


It had been four hours since the café incident when Ginny received her first owl. It was a nondescript brown barn owl. The writing on the letter was Draco’s. It read:

Dear Ginny,
Aleks has asked that you reconsider your decision to not pursue a relationship with him. He believes, no knows, that you belong together and have a connection that cannot be ignored. He will see you again soon.
I am doing fine.

-Draco Malfoy


Ginny stared at the letter a few seconds and passed it to an Auror (they had been at her apartment since she got back from Malfoy Manor). Taking it back, she tried to think of where they could be. Before she voiced her next thoughts aloud, she felt a terrible pain. All she could hear where the urgent yells of Aurors. And all her surroundings swirled into a mass of colorlessness. Then faded to black.


She woke up to the sounds of someone calling her name, and a rough shaking. Her eyes snapped open and danced wildly around the small room. Who was calling her name?

“Draco!” she yelled. “What’s going on?” His once unmarked pale features were marred with bruises.

“Are you alright? All of the sudden you appeared here, and you knocked your head off the floor. Here, sit up.” With that, he helped her into a seated position where she could rest against his chest. “It’s not terribly exciting, how I got here. I didn’t appear like you did. I was in my flat getting ready when I was Stunned. I woke up halfway here, but he knocked me out again. But…it isn’t just Aleks here. There have been two different men coming in here. I don’t know the others name yet. But why are you here?”

“The letter you wrote me. It was a Portkey. They were just lucky I had it and not an Auror.”

“Auror? You told the Ministry? Good, I was afraid you’d go and be a hero or something. Even though I’m not glad to see you here in this mess too.” Before she could respond, a door she had never noticed opened.

“Ghazi?”

“This is Ghazi?” Draco asked. “What the hell is going on here? I’m not going to let you two pounces do anything to Gin!” He gingerly helped Ginny stand and placed himself in front of her.

Sighing, Ghazi took a step closer. “Fool, what do you mean by ‘two’? Surely, you’ve picked up on what is happening.”

As if he had been a wax figure placed into the fire, Ghazi’s features began to melt and alter themselves. When he was finished, Ginny realized what his last statement meant.

Ghazi and Aleks weren’t working together. ..






Ghazi and Aleks were the same person.

Author notes: Thanks! Again, I'm sorry!

Leave a Review